The cost of retainers depends on the type of retainers you want. There are various types of retainers available in the market. The average retainers cost ranges between $150 and $1000. However, before spending your money on your retainers, you must consult your doctors about the types of retainers and which ones are the best. After all, you want the best for your teeth, don’t you?
What Is A Retainer?
Whether it is an Invisalign treatment or braces, you need to wear retainers afterward. These are worn at the last stage of the orthodontic treatment when you have given up your last set of aligners and have gotten rid of your braces.
Both Invisalign and braces are worn to get your teeth in place if they have a gap in between, they are crooked, or there is an underbite, crossbite, or overbite. As the word clarifies itself, retainers are something that is worn to retain your teeth in the desired position. After your treatment is over, there is a possibility that your teeth slip back into their original place, called relapse. So, to make your teeth and jaw get accustomed to the new position, the retainers are worn.
The two basic types of retainers are permanent and removable. The orthodontist prescribes you a retainer based on your case and requirement. The prices of the different retainers depend on their specifications.
- Wired retainer- These are permanent retainers that are only fixed once and can last a lifetime. The advantage of using wired retainers is, you don’t need to remember wearing them or losing them.
- Hawley Retainers- These are removable retainers that are made of acrylic or plastic with metal wire. They are available in various colors, but you must remember to wear them. Losing them can cost you money.
- Clear Plastic Retainers- These are short-lived retainers as they only last for 6-12 months. They are very comfortable and removable. If you need to wear retainers for a short time, clear retainers are a good option.
Can I Stop Wearing My Retainers After 2 Years?
It depends on your treatment plan. Your Orthodontist will decide how long you need to wear your retainers. Usually, if you wear Invisalign or braces for 1 or 2 years, you must wear your retainers for a little longer than this time.
Your Orthodontist will suggest if you should go for a permanent retainer or a removable one. Usually, fixed retainers are recommended initially. You can eat, brush and floss without worrying about a thing. Only the orthodontist can remove them and suggest you wear removable retainers after some time. As time passes, you can wear your retainers only a few days a week or only during the night.
Some people may need to wear retainers for a lifetime. In that case, wearing retainers every other night is sufficient to avoid a relapse.
How Much Do Plastic Retainers Cost?
Plastic Retainers are expensive as they need to be changed every 6-12 months. And if you lose them, that’s another story. There are three types of clear plastic retainers available in the market- Essix, Zendura, and Vivera.
Essix and Zendura cost $100-$300 for one. Vivera comes into a set of four and thus costs $400-$1200 per set.
How Much Do Permanent Retainers Cost?
Permanent retainers cost includes the cost of retainers plus initial placement. Then, there are three types of permanent retainers- fixed, lingual, or bonded. These retainers will cost you somewhere around $200- $550 for one arch. If you have to wear retainers for a lifetime, then they are a good investment as they don’t need any replacement every year or after a few years like removable retainers.
Yes, you may need to get them repaired if you bit into hard food and displaced them.
How Much Is A Night-Time Retainer?
A night-time retainer is like an Invisalign retainer which can be slid over your teeth during night-time so your teeth don’t relapse. Generally, night-time retainers are worn after one or two years of braces when you don’t need to wear your retainers for long hours of the day. You wear them only during the night. They cost approx—$ 300.
How Long Do Clear Retainers Cost?
It depends on how you use them. If you eat food that is too hard or you don’t clean your retainers, they will be damaged way before their time. While fixed retainers have an indefinite life, the life of clear retainers is limited. Clear Retainers last for 6-12 months if you follow all the instructions and keep them properly. They can also last for two years, but getting them checked is important. Hawley retainers last only for a few years say five to ten or a maximum of 20.
Just because it’s only about teeth, many people don’t take post-treatment requirements seriously. It takes thousands of dollars to get your teeth straight. Then again, it costs hundreds of dollars every time you get a new retainer set. It is essential that you keep them safe, clean them regularly, and most importantly, wear them with responsibility; else, all your money spent on treatment will go down the drain.
- Brandl, M., Grabner, J., Kellner, K., Seifert, F., Nicolics, J., Grabner, S., & Grabner, G. (2009). “A low-cost wireless sensor system and its application in dental retainers”.
- Al-Moghrabi, D., Pandis, N., & Fleming, P. S. (2016). “The effects of fixed and removable orthodontic retainers: a systematic review”.
- Madurantakam, P., & Kumar, S. (2017). “Fixed and removable orthodontic retainers and periodontal health”.
- Parker, W. S. (1989). “Retention—retainers may be forever”.